MOAB Details Expected To Be Released Soon
Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Thursday said Assadkhil village in Achin district, where the Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb was dropped by U.S Forces last week is under the control of their commandos control who are investigating the issue.
According to the MoD, only technical personnel are being allowed near the blast site due to the large number of mines planted in the area.
The ministry said their findings would be released to the public soon.
According to the MoD, only technical personnel are being allowed near the blast site due to the large number of mines planted in the area. According to the ministry, Daesh is also firing off rockets at military personnel, which is also slowing down the investigation process.
“We are in the area but it is filled with mines in every inch. You are aware that it was one of the biggest strongholds of Daesh. They wanted to keep it safe this way. We are clearing the area,” Mohammad Radmanesh, MoD deputy spokesman said.
The MOAB bomb was dropped seven days ago reportedly on Daesh strongholds in Achin district, but it is still it is not clear exactly why the bomb was dropped.
Hamid Karzai, the former president of Afghanistan meanwhile slammed the bombing during an interview with VOA (Voice of America).
“It was the biggest U.S bomb which was not used anywhere but was used in Afghanistan. The U.S vice president came and said a lesson should be learned from Afghanistan and here Afghanistan was an example [for the use of biggest bombs],” Karzai said.
Members of the public have however blasted the U.S Forces and the Afghan government for not having released information about the bombing.
The U.S Forces have also not released details of their investigation into the bombing, but the Afghan government said the bombing sent a clear message to countries supporting terrorism.
“This bombing had a clear message to regional countries and the message was that there should be a review of the support and assistance to terrorists,” Mujib Rahman Rahimi, CEO spokesman said.
The delay in releasing details has however created doubt about whether the MOAB bomb really was dropped or not. But some MPs said dropping such a bomb should help bring security to the country.
“I think this will have consequences in the future. We hope that serious and practical steps are taken [by the United States] under the security agreement,” Mirdad Nijrabi, head of Parliament’s Internal Security Commission said.
Nangarhar police department has said 94 Daesh militants were killed in the bombing.
Ministry of Public Health meanwhile confirmed that no Achin resident was killed or wounded in the bombing._ Tolonews
THE VOICE TIMES